Friday, July 17, 2009

Raising A Daughter

When it comes to raising a daughter where do I begin? I want my daughter to have everything in life, but there are a few things which I consider most important. I want to her to know that she is loved, unconditionally, so not a day goes by that I forget to say those 3 little words. I want her to have confidence in her abilities and have good self esteem. I praise the good she does and tell her she is beautiful everyday. I want her to know that I will stand with her with all that life may throw at her. She's mine and I want her to truly know that she can come to me with everything. She is more important than having a perfect house, so today I will push aside the mess of toys and have a tea party in the middle of the floor anyway. And when I reluctantly think that someday she will be grown and out of my house, there is one final lesson that I want her to have down. I want her to marry someone great, not just good enough. Someone who exceeds all her expectations. So we buy her flowers sometimes as her reward for whatever it may be that week. I want her to expect treatment like that. Flowers are a great gift, but I want her to expect that from someone she's dating. I want her to think...flowers are nice, but I get them all the time. The reason? I will not have her fall for some guy because he buys her the right things, I want her to see past gifts like flowers so she won't get too easily swept off her feet. I want her to be able to appreciate the person's tokens of love but not get overly excited so that she may see the real person behind the flowers. I want her to find the right person because gifts are just things, and they mean nothing if the wrong guy is behind them. I truly believe that if we raise our daughters to feel loved, pretty, confident, important, protected, and appreciated they will always expect that. They will demand those things because they will know they are worth it and they will attract the right kind of people to date. She may only be 3 today, but my husband and I are helping her build the foundation for the rest of her life.

3 comments:

Scanlon Family said...

Okay, so you had me in tears with your two recent entries. Thinking of the possibilities of my future with Jason and my little girls, well, they are my life. :) I just talked to you and I miss you already. We really need to sell our houses and move closer.

Justinea said...

Hey you...that was such a cute post made me think about being more patient to my little Megan.

Kelly said...

Hey Elise...Email me at kthomppy@gmail.com your email address so I can invite you to see my blog which is on "Private".