I am a list maker and I have been ever since I could write. When I was 5, I would write lists of things I liked. I laugh when I think back to being 16 and writing a list of what qualities I would want in my "ideal husband". When I was 18 I wrote a list of names for my future children. Everyday I write a "To Do" list. Most importantly, as I grew older, I put pen to paper to list my dreams, aspirations, and goals.
Don't get me wrong, I think that 30 is still very young. I had some anxiety coming up to my 30th birthday because I realized I didn't do some of the things on my list. For example, I hadn't lived in Boston, I hadn't gone to Grad School, I hadn't traveled as much as I had planned, and I didn't have "the big city" job that I had wanted. I began to think that my life hadn't gone the way I had planned on those lists. And then I realized something, which stopped me in my tracks of going down that "should have, could have, would have" path. I did get to travel. I did go to college. I chose to turn down the East Cost job that was offered to me so my husband could finish his BS at BYU.
What I do have is the man of my dreams, 3 beautiful children that are sad to see me leave and happy to see me every morning. I have a house that fits our needs and 2 cars that function well. And most importantly I laugh, smile, and feel gratitude at some point every single day. So the fact that I get to turn 30 is a privilege.
You can have everything you want, but not all at once. What I do have is everything I need all at once. Life does not follow our lists. Isn't that wonderful?
2 comments:
Thank you my dear! I love you and your birthday was a blast even though you were slightly handicapped. I wonder if I'll feel the same way when I eventually turn 30??? Thanks for paving the way for me!
Beautiful post. Beautiful pic. SOOO glad you are posting again. Hope all is well.
Post a Comment