Saturday, January 10, 2015

The First Mistake

As a parent you find yourself saying things that you never imagined you could possibly say. You also hear things that you could never have imagined in your wildest dreams.

There is also something about getting in the shower when you have young children. You think you have kids settled down for naps, quiet time, play time, or maybe a movie. That moment when you first step in the steamy shower is so heavenly. You take a big breath. Finally a moment to yourself. And as quickly as you had that thought, something always happens. The baby wakes up, the phone starts ringing, 2 or more kids start fighting. In my case, it's often all of those things. All too often before you have even rinsed the shampoo out of your hair, someone is inevitably in the bathroom. You knew they were coming you heard all that screaming along with thudding footsteps running up the stairs. The heavenly shower is officially over and you scramble to get out quickly. If I'm lucky, I will be in my robe before someone bursts through the bathroom door.

Today was no exception. I heard 3 kids running up the stairs with tales of woe "He did..." and "She did..." and "MOM!!!!" I shouted that I would be out of the bathroom in just a minute. So as soon as I emerged, I asked what in the world had happened in the last few minutes. My oldest daughter was the first to try and explain. "Well, we were playing Hunger Games...". I told her that I was going to have to stop her right there. Clearly I had recognized my first mistake, I let the older 2 read the first 2 books and watch the first 2 movies. I mentally face palmed myself.

No comments: