As a parent we look forward to firsts and mile markers so eagerly, that we rarely realize when something happens for the last time. All too soon they gain self sufficiency. One less child to bathe, one less child who needs a bed time story, and 2 less feet underfoot. I think it is harder to let them go little by little to make their choices and find their path then it is to have a little one in constant need. Sometimes you can see what will happen form a choice they make and you have to let them find out for themselves.
When I was a younger and newer parent I was such a stickler for routines and structure. I tried to keep nap times, bedtimes, meal times, bath time, and even play time to their exact times. I felt like I had complete control over how the day would go if I kept to the schedule. The more parenting experience I have gained the more I have realized that I don't have any control. The children we have come with their own unique personalities. They come with their individual needs and trials.
Today I sang Christmas songs for hymns at church with my little Liam curled up beside me. Tears fell. I have a constant prayer in my heart, pleading really, that he will be ok. Between my fervent pleas over his health and the words of the songs I love so much, I felt as if my heart would burst open. I don't really have control over much. I think the hardest realization for me has been that I just have to let it go. I do the best that I can and send those prayers up, and whatever is to be will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment