Saturday, December 6, 2014

Christmas Perhaps Means a Little Bit More

Last Friday we took our kids up to Temple Square. It was the first night of their Christmas lights. It was a cool night, but not cold. We have been really lucky this December, so far no snow or ice or really freezing temperatures. I have probably jinxed myself by saying that now. It was very crowded. They opened the gates around the temple. I have never seen the gates open around the temple for visitors other than wedding party guests. We took the path less traveled that night and steered away from the reflecting pond and walked right up to the temple. My kids could actually go up to the big wooden doors and touch the beautiful brass handles. I told them to touch the cool, hard granite exterior. I told them how amazing it was that the exterior's stone was carved and bought down from the mountains. I can't even fully comprehend the 44 years it took to build the Salt Lake Temple, more than my lifetime thus far. How many hands had worked so hard to build this wonderful temple? And here my 5 children were with their hands touching this sacred building. As my 9 year old daughter, Seery, stood at the top of the steps to one of the great wooden doors with her hand firmly wrapped around its brass doorknob..... I was overcome with emotion. Never had I felt more strongly the words come alive from one of my favorite primary songs, "I love to see the temple, I'll go inside someday." She will, they all will. My children could feel the Spirit. I could feel the Spirit. I felt happy. I felt time stand still for just a moment. This was a perfect moment.

As we were leaving the temple's grounds we stopped at the crosswalk. I began counting my kids. It is a habit that I cannot quit, especially when we are in crowded areas. My heart stopped as I noticed that Aidan was not right there with us. Thankfully, he came running to my side before I could even say anything to David. I asked him where he had been. He didn't say anything at first, but as David walked across the street towards City Creek with the other 4 kids, we had a few precious minutes to ourselves. I kept asking questions. Aidan finally told me what happened. On our way in to see the lights he noticed a few homeless people. There was one man in particular that stood out to him. Aidan decided that he would think about this man and his needs as he walked through Temple Square. On his way out, he felt he knew just what he should do. Aidan had $2 to his name, that just so happened to be in his pocket. He gave this man his money on his way out, in the hopes that he would be able to buy himself dinner at a place like McDonald's, since they have a $1 menu. I began to tear up as I listened, which of course my son noticed. He told me he did it because he felt he should; it was the right thing to do. He said that he wasn't going to say anything to me because he didn't want anyone to know about it. Well, at this I actually cried. My son noticed a person, perceived their needs, and gave away all the money in his possession in the hopes that it would help and bring comfort without wanting any sort of worldly recognition. It was in this moment that I remembered what Christmas is all about. It was in this moment I snapped out of whatever pity party I had let myself wallow in for too many days. My son reminded me that there is good everywhere. Love abounds. Filling other people's buckets with light is where joy is to be found. If we didn't know sorrow and pain, then we wouldn't know utter joy and true love. My trials have taught me how to be flexible, how to stretch and how to grow. My kids are turning into thoughtful and kind people who seek out ways to serve. I am unsure how far the ripple of effect will be from Aidan's gift to a man he has never met, but I hope the man felt love. Children really are so simple, pure, and trusting. They see people as they really are, as the Savior would see them. I know I felt the Spirit testify to me in that moment talking with my oldest son, that God lives and He loves each and every one of us. If I could have one wish, then it would be for everyone to feel of His love and know that they are of infinite worth. If we all could see ourselves through His eyes, through a child's eyes, I know this world would be a better place.

"Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!” 


No comments: