Wednesday, May 21, 2008

In a Pinch?

I went to make dinner tonight and was ready to mix-in and heat up the last ingredient-- sour cream. I opened the container, which I thought was brand new, only to find that someone (David) had opened it, and by the looks of it... a while ago. Yikes! What's a girl to do? I was not about to pack up the kids and drive 12 miles round trip to the grocery store to pick up the one last thing. And then the thought came to me, I can make my own substitute from scratch. I have made my own buttermilk when I had none, so it was worth a try. And voila it worked like a charm and dinner was on the table before 6 pm! So if this ever happens to you do this: Mix in a bowl 1 cup evaporated milk, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I don't know about using this as a topping itself, but if your recipe calls for a cup of sour cream as a heated mix-in I can personally guarantee you that it will taste the same! Actually it tasted better.

4 comments:

easleyfamily said...

Wow! I'm impressed!

motivated said...

Oooh, getting crafty! :) Nice save Elise! :)

Scanlon Family said...

Cute blog! I'm glad the sour cream worked . . . and you did all that while juggling kids and chatting on the phone. Your family photos turned our great.

Tiercy said...

Elise, I have a better idea: just come borrow the ingredient from your friendly neighbor. That's what we're for after all. I do applaud your willingness to make your own.