The first weekend in April and October are when our church holds what is called General Conference. It's a weekend of listening to talks being given by the leaders of church, of course it's always inspirational. The difference for my kids is that in Utah you stay home and watch it on TV. I, on the other hand, growing up went to the stake center for all the sessions to watch them via satellite, in Sunday dress. When we began going with the Fox family, well those are some of my favorite memories. We would have lunch at the stake center on the Saturday afternoon between sessions. The Fox family would bring sandwiches and we would bring dessert. Remember the "conference brownies" Anna? On Sunday the Fox family would come to our home between sessions and we would have lunch there. Of course we could participate in Sister Fox's General Conference quiz of the Saturday sessions in which we would receive candy for each correct answer. Incentive for us young ones to pay attention! I feel that something has been lost watching it at home. It's nice to hang out in our "scrubs" but I find it too casual and too easy to not pay as close attention, I mean you are at home. Anyways... we have to find our own traditions since here we will always be at home. So thanks to my fabulous in-laws we have found what works for now. A General Conference packet filled with activities. Aidan liked playing Bingo. He would put 1 smartie in a square when a particular word was spoken. It was fun. It kept their attention focused, and they were excited. And we were luckily graced once more with my mom's conference brownies after dinner that Sunday!
Boys’ Valentine Idea & Printable
7 years ago
1 comment:
I miss those conference brownies!! Those were good days... I feel clueless on how to keep my kids focused on conference these days--what can keep a fidgety 4-year-old, a talkative 2-year-old and a wiggly 1-year-old busy while Mom and Dad try to pay attention? Hopefully it'll be easier next year! :)
Post a Comment